We tell you everything you need to know about caring for balayage highlights to show off your hair for as long as possible. Take aim!
The balayage is one of the most popular coloring techniques in recent years. It focuses on enhancing the luminosity and reflections of the hair by applying fairly fine highlights without touching the roots of the hair, so it is less harmful to the hair than full dyes. However, its application depends on factors such as the length or the amount of hair. In this way, the greater the quantity, the greater the need for highlights and vice versa.
Although balayage highlights are usually associated with brown hair, because it is one of the best ways to lighten the hair without dyeing all the hair.The truth is that they work well on all types of hair and colors (brown, brown, blonde …) if applied correctly. So if you are looking to give your hair and face an extra shine, don’t hesitate! Go to the hairdresser to choose the most suitable balayage to highlight the beauty of your hair according to its tone.
Of course, although it is not a complete dye and damages the hair less, the balayage also needs specific care so that it lasts much longer and its appearance is better. Keep reading and discover which ones are to show off your hair.
Hair care before applying balayage highlights
Although we will tell you later how to take care of your hair after balayage coloring, the previous state of the hair is also decisive for the duration of the same and its appearance. Therefore, if you have not yet gone to the hairdresser to put on your balayage highlights, we recommend that you follow these steps a month before if you have the opportunity:
- Use a hydrating shampoo
- After each wash, apply conditioner from medium to ends
- Apply nourishing masks once or twice a week
- Put sunscreen on your hair every day
It is about your hair being hydrated and healthy. If the ends are badly damaged, it may be best to cut a little before applying the highlights. In this way the result will be much better.
Keep in mind that dyes always dry out your hair and if you already have it dry, balayage or any other dye can spoil your hair a lot, so try to keep it hydrated before and after application. There are specific treatments to hydrate dry and dyed manes that you can find in hairdressers, drugstores and specialized beauty websites.
Basic care of balayage highlights
Once you’ve been to the salon, following a specific care routine will help keep your hair shiny and healthy for longer:
- Use a specific shampoo and conditioner for colored hair.
- If your hair is blonde, we recommend using silver or purple shampoo once a week to tint and prevent it from acquiring a yellow or green tone.
- Apply a moisturizing mask once or twice a week, much better if it is specific for colored hair.
- If you apply oils, make sure they are quality and do not dry out the hair.
- Avoid sulfates and silicones: although it is not mandatory, the truth is that these ingredients dry out the hair and when cleaning more aggressively, they drag the coloration.
- When your hair is wet, comb it gently since being colored is more vulnerable and can break easily.
- Towel it dry gently and avoid rubbing it.
- Always use products with heat protection before using heat tools such as a blow dryer, iron or tweezers.
As you can see, it is also important to adapt the care to the different types and tones of hair, so it is interesting that you consult your hairdresser which products may work best in your case.
Other tips to take care of balayage highlights
Apart from the care routine, the tips we give you below can help you keep your hair as healthy as possible, especially in summer.
Protect your hair from the sun : so that hair is not negatively affected by the sun and the balayage highlights last longer, it is best to use a sun protection product for your hair. The use of hats, caps or hats is also very beneficial so that the sun does not punish the hair.
Take care of your hair in the pool : although the ideal thing for your hair is to avoid chlorine at all costs, if you are going to give yourself a shampoo, it is best to apply a product that protects your hair. If you practice swimming or your baths are very frequent, the ideal is that you also use a hat to protect your hair.