Every morning, you make the same gestures with the same face and now you want to change … and start with your look. Do not despair, we explain step by step how to apply makeup to your eyes to help you achieve the perfect look, both day and night.
You probably have several eyeshadows around the house that you hardly pay attention to. And basically you don’t because you don’t really know how to put on eye makeup , right? With so much brush, mascara , eyeliners and colors, in the end you get saturated and you end up always falling back on a very basic eye look.
- How to do eye makeup step by step?
- How to prepare the skin for eye makeup?
- What is the makeup you need to put on your eyes?
- How to highlight the eyes with makeup?
- How to make up your eyes with eyeshadow?
- How to use eyeliner to put on eye makeup?
- How to put mascara on your eyes?
- How to make up your eyes taking care of your eyebrows?
But don’t worry, the time has come to learn how to make up your eyes . And we are going to explain it to you step by step, solving all doubts.
How to do eye makeup step by step?
To put makeup on your eyes, you must first take into account a few simple steps. This is the order to follow:
- First prepare the eyelid with an eye primer . This way the shadow will be better fixed. Buy first on Amazon here .
- Apply the base color on the eyelid, preferably a light color.
- Make up the eye with the rest of the eyeshadow colors .
- Line the eye with shadow or with a liquid or gel eyeliner .
- Apply mascara
How to prepare the skin for eye makeup?
Now we are going to delve a little more into how to put on eye makeup, reeling off the steps. Before applying makeup, you need to prepare your skin. It is important that it is clean and well hydrated, so that the makeup will last longer.
How to prepare your skin before putting on eye makeup:
- Wash your face with water and a cleansing gel. You can also use micellar water by applying it with a cotton pad. We recommend this Bioderma pack .
- Dry your face with the help of a towel. Do it by tapping, never dragging.
- Moisturize the face with your usual moisturizer. Wait for the skin to absorb it.
- Now apply an eye primer on the eyelids.
A trick : when applying the primer , or eye primer , use the ring finger, as it is the one that exerts the least force. Remember that the eyes are a delicate area of the face, therefore, apply the product with gentle touches.© iStock
How to put on eye makeup: learn how to choose your primer or primer :
Eye primer is the first step in applying makeup, so it is important to know which one to choose. It all depends on your skin type:
What is the makeup you need to put on your eyes?
You are already clear on how to prepare your skin for eye makeup. But what other products will you need? Take aim!
For the eyelid:
- Different colored eyeshadows.
- An illuminating type shadow.
- Black shadow to outline.
- Brushes to apply the shadows: one to apply the shadows, another to smudge and another bevel.
You can also get a palette that includes different shades, including matte finishes, nude and dark tones and illuminating shadow. We recommend this one from Maybelline New York .
For the eyelashes:
- A clear base coat or mascara base ( like this one from Artdeco ).
- Mascara for eyelashes.
- Eyelash curler: but try not to abuse it.
For the eyebrows:
- A brush or gupillon to comb them.
- Shadows to fill in the eyebrows.
- A brush to apply the shadow.
How to highlight the eyes with makeup?
Before explaining how to apply eyeshadows , it is important to know how to highlight them. There are some very simple tricks that we can use. Here’s a list:
- Keep your brows symmetrical : Well-groomed and symmetrical brows help frame the look.
- Highlight the brow bone : Apply a light shadow or highlighter under the brow to highlight the eyes.
- Apply white shadow near the tear duct to enlarge and highlight your look ( take a look at this one from La Rosa ).
- Apply a darker shadow (brown, for example) on the upper part of the eyelid, below the brow bone. Apply it with semicircular movements.
- Never forget about mascara – it will highlight your eye makeup a lot.
Another way to highlight your eyes with makeup is to choose the shadow based on your eye color . There are shades that can highlight your look more than others.
- For blue or gray eyes : shades of bronze, gold, beige, peach, orange, pink, black, purple or navy blue. This is the perfect eyeshadow palette for you .
- For green eyes : lilac, burgundy, plum, green, brown undertones or pastel shades. This is the perfect palette for your eyes .
- For brown eyes : blue, bronze, gold, coral, amber, pink or brown shadows. This is our go-to palette for brown eyes .
How to make up your eyes with eyeshadow?
Now we go with the step by step to apply the different eye shadows in order . Here are eight essential steps to learning how to shade your eyes:
- Choose at least three shadow colors of similar hues. They try to go from light to dark.
- Example: brown, nude and beige.
- Apply the main color (the lightest) all over the eyelid. From the inside out.
- Apply the darkest color from the center of the eyelid outwards.
- Blend this color. Try to make it fade from less to more intensity.
- Spread this shadow from the outside to the top right at the end of the eye.
- Unify the two halves of the eyelid with the other shadow.
- Apply a little white shadow or highlighter to the tear duct and under the brow bone
How to use eyeliner to put on eye makeup?
We are going to give you an infallible trick to make the eyeliner last longer : before applying the liquid eyeliner , do it with shadow of the same color.
Remember that the eyeliner is applied after having made up the eyes with shadow. Therefore, the step by step to make up your eyes with eyeliner would be:
- Using a beveled brush, draw a line flush with your upper lashes.
- For this first step you can use eyeshadow or a pointed pencil.
- This first line will serve as a guide before applying the liquid eyeliner .
- Shake the liquid eyeliner well and apply it on the line that you have already made.
- When you get to the corner of your eye, put your finger near the temple. Stretch the facial skin back.
- Draw a fine line upward.
- Join the line at the corner of your eye and fill it in.
To outline the lower part of the eye use pencil or shadows, never a liquid eyeliner.
A trick : if you have small eyes , apply the eyeliner flush with the lower lashes, from the middle of the eye outwards. If you have large eyes , apply the pencil along the entire lower water line to make it look smaller.© iStock
How to put mascara on your eyes?
To show off beautiful lashes, you don’t need to apply 20 coats of mascara. One or two is enough. If you abuse mascara, with so many layers, your lashes will weigh more and fall down.
Here is the step by step to put mascara on your eyes correctly:
- Comb the lashes with a brush or gupillon .
- Curl them with the eyelash curler. Do it gently and always before applying mascara.
- Then apply the transparent mascara base.
- Wait a few seconds for it to dry.
- Then apply the mascara: do it by slightly lifting the eyelid.
- Apply mascara from the base of your lashes outward. Do this by moving the brush from side to side to separate the lashes.
- To make up your lower lashes, apply just a subtle touch of mascara.
How to make up your eyes taking care of your eyebrows?
The last step to complete your eye makeup is to also do your eyebrows. Cover the small bald spots with shadow and try to make both eyebrows symmetrical. For it:
- Brush them first and shape them into the desired shape.
- Apply an eyeshadow of a similar color to your brows. Use specific eyebrow makeup for a much more natural result.
- Fill in the gaps with less hair.
- Comb the eyebrow again.